Sunday, August 5, 2007

Borobudur, San Francisco

For several years, I've passed by Borobudur on my way to Chutney or Union Square always wanting to try out the food. This eatery at the intersection of Jones and Post in the Tenderloin neighborhood looks pretty charming from the outside in contrast to its rundown surroundings and I finally made it here recently with a bunch of friends. Like all good restaurants on a Saturday, the place was packed and we had to wait for about 20 minutes to get a table for 9. I was pleasantly surprised with the classy decor considering that most of the restaurants in the Tenderloin are the no frills, hole in the wall kind of joints. Their beer and wine collection wasn't all that great, so I decided to stick to water. We ordered the Martabak Goreng, Chicken Satay, Roti Prata and Veggie sampler for appetizers. I hate Tofu and so avoided the Veggie sampler like the plague but the other 3 appetizers were fabulous, especially the Martabak. The Roti Prata was also well done and had a very flavorful and spicy sauce to go with it. For the main course, we ended up ordering the Rendang Beef, Ayam Panggang Bambu Rujak (BBQ Chicken) and Squid in spicy Indonesian sauce. I believe that the best test for a South East Asian restaurant is their Rendang curry and I have to admit the Rendang Beef here is the best Rendang curry I have eaten till date. The BBQ chicken was also a treat and I could taste a subtle flavor of coconut milk over the well balanced spices. Although I did not get to try the fried trout since it was at the other end of the table, one of my friends who's pretty picky about his food, vouches for it. The coconut flavored rice was an excellent complement to the spicy entrees. Although the dessert menu appeared quite exquisite, we did not order any dessert as we had plans to go to Ghirardelli square for ice cream. On the whole it was a wonderful experience and I would definitely visit this place again in the near future...

No comments: